A quick report from the PDNC meeting in Orange County, mostly without commentary:
Gene Nichol started off the day with an inspiring call for action by progressives to represent the heart and soul of the Democratic Party.
Chris Fitzsimon up next, taking both Art Pope and North Carolina newspapers to task for collusion in fostering the right wing agenda. A remarkably non-partisan presentation of the political landscape.
What's likely to happen?
- Three constitutional amendments: eminent domain, gay marriage, taxpayer bill of rights
- Voter ID law
- Measure to crack down on illegal immigrants
- They'll balance the $4 billion with cuts
- Schools closing
Perdue will likely produce a budget in February that doesn't raise new taxes, in hopes of getting re-elected. (Note from me to Bev: you'll fail on both fronts if you try this.)
What to do?
- Stay on their asses every minute of every day in Raleigh, and report on it everywhere you can. They have no idea what they're doing and are going to be spectacularly incompetent.
- Fight, even if you lose. Hang the consequences of their failures clearly around their necks.
Questions? Post 'em and I'll ask them for you.