NC: This Land Was Made For You and Me

Occupy Wall Street has been an inspiration to me as it has been to many. Many people - tens of thousands of people - now feel empowered by the idea that, as Woody Guthrie sung to us, this land is our land, so we need not be afraid to occupy it, to take it back from the 1% who would steal it from the other 99% of us. So in that spirit, I want to share this video I put together for work.

The North Carolina State AFL-CIO debuted this new video at its 54th Annual Convention in Charlotte, last month - "NC: This Land Was Made For You and Me." This short film recaps what has been a year of action and struggle in North Carolina against a new regime in our state legislature, one that has exacted sacrifice upon sacrifice from working families while sparing the corporate executives and special interests which brought it to power from having to sacrifice anything.

Check it out:

Comments

Thank you, Jeremy

Great song to kick off a Saturday morning. Good work on the video. We have a long road ahead of us to repair the damage already done to our state by the Republicans.



***************************
Vote Democratic, the ass you save may be your own.

This just in:

You've probably read/heard about the anti-war demonstration at the Smithsonian the other day, but you probably don't know the guy leading the charge was doing so under false pretenses:

An assistant editor with a right-wing magazine admitted in a column Saturday evening to posing as part of the 99 Percent Movement in D.C. “in order to mock and undermine” it. Patrick Howley, an assistant editor for the American Spectator, was committed enough to his deception to be at the vanguard of a demonstration that saw police firing pepper spray and closing a downtown Washington museum.

a few intrepid protesters made a rush for the door despite apparent warnings from security guards. One of them was Howley, who recounts that “as far as I could tell I was the only one who got inside the museum.”

A spokesperson for the Smithsonian said at least one person was pepper sprayed by a guard. According to Howley, “I got hit.” The conservative writer then went on to explain what exactly he was doing leading the charge past museum guards into the building itself:

[A]s far as anyone knew I was part of this cause — a cause that I had infiltrated the day before in order to mock and undermine in the pages of The American Spectator — and I wasn’t giving up before I had my story. Under a cloud of pepper spray I forced myself into the doors and sprinted blindly across the floor of the Air and Space Museum…

Apparently this idiot doesn't know the difference between getting a story and making a story.

This is even more unethical than the O'Keefe approach to journalism. In a sane world, it would relegate the American Spectator to where it belongs, the rack right beside the Enquirer and the Soap Opera Digest. But alas, Conservatives have shown an amazing capacity for eating offal and calling it prime rib, so...