I recently made a comment on this, but thought I would put it out there for others to discuss. There is, now, an underlying feeling that taxes are a negative. This is perhaps the greatest threat to American society today, not al Qaeda, not Osama bin Laden, but the right-wing philosophy that taxes are a burden on the American people.
Taxes are a membership fee, and in this case you get what you pay for.
Your membership includes good roads, because business wants good roads.
It includes good ports, because business wants good ports.
It includes lots of corporate farming, because business loves those farm subsidies that pay them NOT to grow food.
Your membership also includes Social Security, because once upon a time Progressives stood up and fought for our Seniors.
Your membership also includes Medicare, because once upon a time Progressives stood up and fought for our Seniors.
Your membership also includes Medicaid, because once upon a time Progressives stood up and fought for those who have fallen behind.
Here is what your membership does not include:
1. Healthcare. Because the wealthy don't need it, and Progressives won't fight for it.
2. A Strong Military. Because the aristocrats realized somewhere along the way that mercenary forces and corporate support forces make them lots of money.
3. Living Wages. Because living wages would cut into the profit margin, and the aristocracy would rather turn this map red as well.
4. Equality. Because Leviticus says that gays are going to burn in hell. And, those who eat shrimp...and, pork, clams, oysters, lobster, rabbit, and deer.
5. Safe Ports. Because, unlike good ports, a safe port costs money and slows down business. And, Progressives won't fight for it.
6. Your turn.
We need to stop playing by their rules and believing their lies. How many Democrats have come out saying how taxes are bad, but blah blah blah. Taxes are not bad, paying taxes makes you a patriotic American. Not paying taxes, not WANTING to pay taxes makes you an Aristocrat.