The Civitas Institute's 7-Point Conservative Agenda for General Assembly's Short Session
The General Assembly begins their even-year short session on May 9, and the right is helping us out a little bit with the pregame show. Here's the (John William Pope) Civitas Institute's agenda, as laid out in this piece in the North Carolina Conservative:
- Eliminate taxes that they call "temporary;"
- Enact the Taxpayer Protection Act (is this just TaBoR by another name?);
- Kill the Gas Tax (I think we've been over this already);
- Help Communities Build Schools (am I missing something? I can't find the sinister here);
- Eliminate State Benefits to Illegal Immigrants and Make English the Official Language of North Carolina (sigh);
- Adopt Defense of Marriage Act (double sigh);
- Pass Post-Kelo Property Right Protection Constitutional Amendment (done right, this doesn't have to be a bad thing; Kelo is a little bit scary);
Anyone who is already pretty familiar with one or more of these items ought to chime in in the comments to give the rest of us a starting point. Get to reading, my good liberal friends.
BlueNC is dedicated to making North Carolina a more progressive and prosperous state. If your intention is to disrupt this effort, please find somewhere else to express your opinions.